Overview / Objectives
The Canberra Country Blues & Roots Festival was originally established as the Canberra Country Music Festival to promote, showcase and grow Country Music (across all its sub-genres) in Australia's national capital and surrounding regions - the largest inland market in Australia comprising over half a million people.
We see the Festival as securing Country Music in all its diversity including blues and roots within the community through holding an event comprising performances, exhibitions, workshops, talent quests, dancing and industry forums. While open to all, the Festival also endeavours to provide a showcase for regional music artists and the next generation of performers.
As the last festival of the year on the country and blues music events calendar, the Canberra Country Blues & Roots Festival also has the highest level of new recording launches as performers gear up for Tamworth in the New Year.
The Festival also raises funds for local non-profit community organisations as well as fostering country music in the heart of the nation!
Theme / Motto
"Music Dance Utes Horses - It's A Lifestyle!
Seriously Having A Good Time!"
What Makes CCMF Special?
- The last country music festival on the calendar and the first prior to Tamworth means we get the new album releases and country music artists gearing up for their New Year performances!
- The most international country music festival in Australia with artists from Australia, New Zealand, United States, Canada, Europe, Asia and the Pacific performing at the Canberra Country Music Festival over the years. And don't forget to check out the various embassy diplomats that attend from all over the world each year!
- One of the few Australian country music festivals that cater for the wide diversity of country music sub-genres including balladeer, bluegrass, contemporary, gospel, rock, blues and western swing amongst others as well as bush poets.
- The home of the Country Music Media Forum - a gathering of print, radio, television and internet media personnel from around the nation during the event.
- Very much community minded with concessions for seniors, carers and fundraising for numerous local and national non-profit organisations.
- Consistently providing training with work experience accreditation for high schools, colleges and tertiary institutions
The inaugural festival was held at the heritage listed Tuggeranong Homestead in southern Canberra. With some 60+ performing acts covering all forms of country music, there were many memorable performances across 5 stages (check You Tube, MySpace, etc). We loved the venue and the staff. Without onsite camping and sizeable indoor venues, festival organisers had to search for an alternative.
The 2010 Canberra Country Music Festival was held across 5 stages at Exhibition Park in Canberra (EPIC). With massive onsite camping and numerous hotels and hostels nearby as well as large scale auditoriums, EPIC was the natural home for the festival to grow and be secure. This venue also allowed for music industry exhibitions, showcase concerts and national sposnorship options. In a first for Australian Country Music the Canberra Country Music Festival, partnered with Sonicbids to give the opportunity for international country music artists to perform at the 2010 event.
The 2011 Festival was also held at EPIC and featured the first electric ute mustter prize category, exceptional talent competition entries as well as the presence of RM Williams Longhorn Express. For the first time also, our television advertisements were carried through Prime, WIN and Imparja across the nation with the exception of Western Australia. Weather was great for the Friday and Saturday with a downpour on the Sunday that did not dampen spirits!
This year sees the name modification to Canberra Country Blues & Roots Festival as well as building on our move last year to the Hall Polocrosse Grounds with some 50 acres for camping, stages, vendors and events. This provides a more "country and roots feel" compared to bitumen, concrete and steel of other venues, as well as allow more opportunities for horse and ute muster expansion activities.
Overall 2013 will see a diverse range of quality country blues & roots performers, exciting venues, enticing vendors and new entertainment attractions.
The Ute Truck Muster also includes cars and a cruise from the Festival to Parliament House and return to the Festival. And the music - you'll have to wait to hear this year's line up! Our arrangement with Sonicbids has been widened to include GigLaunch for Australian artists and we are excited and advise all performers to submit their interest on the click on the links for Sonicbids and GigLaunch
Being unique with no Government financial assistance, the Canberra Country Blues & Roots Festival is made possible through the support of both national and local sponsors who see commercial opportunities in Festival participation. We are proud to work with these organisations and express our thanks for their continues support into the future. More on sponsors here
The Canberra Country Blues & Roots Festival acknowledges the mutual support of our media partners.
Who Visits This Website?
We are surprised at the number of internet users that check out this Festival website. Since the Canberra Country Blues & Roots Festival website commenced some 100,000 hits from some 5,000 unique users (that is specific individual users, not just webpage clicks) from around the world have made this website quite popular amongst the global country music fraternity.
To get a better handle on where these people come from we installed the Flag Counter tracking system in December 2011. Recent data indicates that in the past 6 months we've had almost 4,000 unique visitors from 90 nations checking out what's going down at the Festival. These include:
You can check out the details yourself by clicking on the map below:
- 74% Australia - naturally our locals in our backyard from all states and territories!
- 8% USA - including some 41 states of the Union and most major cities!
- 1% Thailand - the largest country music market in Asia especially Bangkok, Phuket, Nonthaburi & Korat!
- 1% Germany - they love their country music from Baden-Wurttemberg, Berlin, Bremen, Niedersachsen & Nordrhein-Westfalen
- 1% Canada - 8 provinces here represented, cheers mounties from Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Quebec & Saskatchewan!
- 1% Philippines - great musicians and linedancers from Batangas, Benguet, Cagayan de Oro, Cebu, Iloilo, Manila, Nueva Ecija, Pampanga, Quezon City & Rizal!
- 1% France - the home of the largest European country music festival from Aquitaine, Bourgogne, Champagne-Ardenne, Haute-Normandie, Ile-de-France, Languedoc-Roussillon, Lorraine, Midi-Pyrenees, Nord-Pas-de-Calais & Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur!
- 1% United Kingdom - home of much traditional country folk from Belfast, Birmingham, Brighton, Cambridgeshire, Cardiff, Fife, Kirklees, Leicester, Lincolnshire, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Milton Keynes, Oldham, Oxfordshire & Surrey!
- 1% India - from all over Andhra Pradesh, Delhi, Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh,
Maharashtra, Punjab, Tamil Nadu & Uttar Pradesh
- 1% New Zealand - fantastic Kiwi talent and mates from Auckland, Gisborne, Nelson, Otago, Taranaki, Waikato & Wellington!
- 1% Japan - big Canberra Country music fans from the beginning domo arrigato Chiba, Gumma, Osaka & Tokyo!
- 1% Netherlands - cloggers from way back in Noord-Holland, Utrecht, Zeeland & Zuid-Holland!